If mama ain't, nobody ain't.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Howdy



Thanks for visiting my blog!

I want to use this space to share what I'm doing to self-improve, motivate, and make a happier me. I hope that you find my posts on here helpful and useful.

Okay, so to keep your attention, I knew I had to start with something awesome. And yummy. Now, since I am trying to lose weight, most food posts will be low-fat. Boo Hiss. HOWEVER, I think you might like this recipe. It's not as low fat as it could be, you shouldn't eat a dozen of these and not think twice because they're "low-fat." But, it is a good alternative to you're regular, 1000 calorie Betty Crocker brownie.

Low-Fat Brownie Recipe
(yum-o)

3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2-oz bittersweet (or semisweet) chocolate
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp low fat sour cream or yogurt
1 large egg
1 egg white
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8 or 9-inch round cake pan with parchment paper and lightly grease it.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
In a small bowl, melt together bittersweet chocolate and butter. Transfer to a large bowl and whisk chocolate mixture with sugars and sour cream. Whisk in egg, egg white and vanilla extract. Gently mix in the flour mixture, mixing until no streaks of flour remain. Batter will be thick.
Spread batter into prepared pan.
Bake for about 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs attached.
Cool brownies completely in the pan. Store in an airtight container.

(courtesy of bakingbites.com)

Now, I did make a few adjustments. Not to the recipe, just to how I baked them. I didn't use a round pan, I poured dollops of batter into mini muffin cups. So they looked like brownie bites. And I didn't use a special mini muffin pan either. I just used a regular muffin pan and put one mini muffin cup into each of the 12 muffin spots. I was worried at first that this might not work, but lo and behold, it did. So there ya go.

I also wanted to jazz up the brownies a bit. So I whipped up some raspberry glaze to go on top. Ohhh fancy, you say. Well, yes, I think so, too. I had some seedless raspberry jam on hand and I mixed 2 tbsp raspberry jam with 1 tbsp of water and drizzled it on top. The tartness of the raspberry mixed with the sweetness of the brownie is heaven, for realz y'all. You'll feel like you're indulging in a decadent dessert. But really, you're eating a low-fat brownie. Tip: Add the raspberry glaze on top right before you eat the brownie. If you let the raspberry glaze sit on the brownie for a while, the brownie will soak up the glaze and not be as pretty. It will look like your brownie is, um, wet. Brownies with watermarks are not cool.




That's all for today! Stay tuned for more things that make me HappyMama.

p.s. I would like to thank Mickey and the gang for entertaining my little one while I made these.



1 comment: