If mama ain't, nobody ain't.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Turbo!

On Saturday mornings at 11am I take the bebe and we go to the gym so that I can take a Turbo Kick class. I drop Avery off at the Kids Club and I take my fat butt upstairs to the class room. Turbo Kick is really intense and sometimes I can hardly keep up. Here is the description of the class from the gym website:

Are you ready to sweat?Learn kickboxing skills choreographed to energizing music. Using no equipment, this kickboxing workout incorporates a number of upper body punches and lower body kicks. Most suitable to participants of medium to high fitness levels, but newcomers are always welcome – just let your kickboxing class instructor know. Mix up your routine with the balance, coordination and strength building moves of boxing or kick boxing while burning 300-600* calories. These high-intensity classes are a great full body workout, incorporating a broad range of punches and athletic drills. No matter which group boxing class you choose, training like this will physically prepare you for whatever punches life throws your way.

Yes, it is true. I do sweat. Quite a bit. Not always ready for it though, the gallons of sweat dripping down my face. Stings the eyes. And did you read that part about it being "most suitable to participants of medium to high fitness levels?" Heh heh heh, I am totally not at the level. I'd say I'm more of a beginner. BUT I always finish the entire hour! I don't stop! I keep going, no matter how much a fool I look! I'm sure everyone else in the class with their tight gluts and toned arms think I look really stupid. Who cares.

And would you like to know why it is called "Turbo" Kick? Oh goodness. Intermittently throughout the torture hour the instructor- who is the most sculpted, toned, lean piece of woman I have ever seen- speeds up the music and says "It's TURBO TIME!" And she says it like some sort of drill sergeant and we are all scared little bunnies about to face our doom. I shake in my boots, err, tennis shoes at this point. Turbo time is when we do high-intensity cardio that lasts for 2 or 3 minutes. 2 or 3 minutes? That's not that bad, you say. Oh no, it is painful. The whole time you're just like make it stop make it stop!! Where is my mother!? The instructor makes you run all over the place with your arms going up and down, punching high and low, with the jumping jack and the squat and the combo jumping jack squat and add in the five lunges across the room and then the jump! jump! jump! higher! jump! All the while with your hands in ready position like you're about to deck someone in the nose. Jab, jab, hook! Jab, jab, hook! Jab, jab, hook! Lunge! Lunge! Kick, kick kick! Jumping jack, kick! And don't stop! Let's do this whole thing five more times!! Five more times, she says! Yes, do it! BAAHHH!

And then you get a small water break.


Okay, really. I feel so good after that class, y'all. Like, so good. I feel like I have just conquered the world. Like I could do anything. And I burn so many calories. Like 800 y'all. I feel really bad for anyone that happens to look at me between the time I bolt out of the classroom door, down the stairs [pant, pant], across the gym, into the Kids Club, and out the doors of the gym. I look just awful. Face: bright red. Pitts: drenched. Hair: hot mess. Glasses: fogged.

But it is worth it. They always say beauty is pain. Unless you're just coming from TurboKick. Then you have no beauty and all of the pain.

TurboKick makes me a Happy[sweaty]Mama.

3 comments:

  1. That is how I always feel after a session. I Love It!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't tell you how proud I am of you--I have always been proud of you in the extreme, and this just adds to it. I love you, KB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds awesome. And fun. And sweaty. You'll have to show me your sweet moves next time you come to Houston. : )

    ReplyDelete